ABC offers a range of services and partnership opportunities, as we look to accelerate the uptake of active building principles. From strategic consultancy and offering support with new-build and retrofit schemes, to partnering with innovation organisations to support research programmes working on helping the UK on its net zero 2050 goal.
Involve ABC from the start of your project for the best outcome!
Want to find out more? Contact us
ABC Research Centre
Each of the three demonstrator Active Buildings at our Berkeley research centre have been built to a different specification, showcasing how renewable generation and storage technologies can be either retrofitted into past generations of housing stock or incorporated into modern-day new builds. These demonstrator buildings are continuously capturing data on their energy performance, establishing best practice on how different renewable technologies should be used together.
Our demonstrators comprise of:
- A single-storey house built to 2005 Building Regulations standards of power and fuel consumption with reversible heat pump, solar panels, wind turbines and PCM battery.
- A modular terrace-style house built to 2012 Building Regulations standards, which also features a biomass boiler and EV charge points.
- A second modular house built to the specification of the incoming Future Homes Standard, it has a three-phase electrical system and vehicle-to-building charging capabilities.
- Independent technical advice and support for organisations on approaches to net zero for development-scale, building-scale, and retrofit
- Physical system trials and optimisation
- Data gathering and evaluation/management of building performance in use
Fabric and Services Optimisation
- Location-specific, dynamic energy simulation and modelling based on demand
- Products for energy management at development and building scale; systems efficiency expectations
- Specifications and selection
- Heat pump efficiencies and storage integration
- Renewables integration
- Whole life cost and carbon assessments
- Whole building retrofit assessment
- Partnership opportunities for the development and integration of systems and product performance
- Examples based on research to date
- Battery and battery safety systems (BESSS)
- IoT platforms and smart energy balancing and trading
- Building owner/occupier “how to” guides
- Product accelerator suppport
Skills Mentoring and Training
- Facilities and resources for business and trainer upskilling
- Toolkits and information packs
Since 2019 ABC have been involved in over 100 research projects. These have generated active upgrades to a value of £96M and 205,000 tonnes of carbon savings. Click on the individual projects, and download the PDFs, to find out more about each one and about the tangible benefits of collaborating with ABC.